Saturday, September 14, 2013

Lola & Mila's Birth Story :) :)

Wow!!! So instead of a countdown to babies, I finally have a Birth Story to write. This post will just be about the birth and I'll follow up with the rest of the hospital stay and updates on the babies as soon as I have the energy :)

So... where were we?! Thursday, Thursday, Thursday... my favorite day of the week. I had a 7:30am BPP scheduled with full measurements, but no Doc appt. I'd been feeling kinda crummy the past two days so I thought since we would be at the Hospital I might as well go up and talk with the doctor's. After this appt I wouldn't be going back until Monday. I always wait in the lobby area in a wheelchair while Hubs parks. Today so many people stopped and asked if I needed to be wheeled somewhere. Nurses, patients, visitors... maybe they knew something I didn't?

The BPP went great! Both babies looked good and passed their tests fast. The only problem presented was Baby B was still transverse. This really broke my heart. She had been head down like her sister for WEEKS and then all of a sudden she decided to lay diagonal across me. I figured I still had a few more days to get her flipped. I was feeling really exhausted at the appt. I hadn't slept well again the night before so I was struggling. The measurements on the babies went really well. Baby A was pretty far down and she was estimated at 5lbs 10oz and Baby B was estimated at 6lbs 7oz, wow that's a lot of baby!! I told the tech how I was feeling so when she called up to Dr. M he said to come on up.

We went upstairs and went through the typical appt stuff. He also wanted to see if I was progressing. I wasn't... I was still only 3cm dilated (same as 10days prior). I was definitely disappointed. I had been feeling so much pressure. Owell I thought, 6days left!

Hubs, Beebs & I left and went to Bob Evans for breakfast. We haven't eaten there in quite awhile, so I was really excited to go. I ordered my usual "rise & shine". Beebs was cracking us up, she kept crunching up her menu and stuffing it down her shirt. The whole time sitting there I felt yucky. I didn't even eat half my breakfast. If you know me, then you know its crazy if I don't eat my food. We packed up our leftovers and went home. As we were leaving a lady stopped Marcellus & offered him their "buy one breakfast, get one free" coupon. How nice was that? Maybe she felt bad for us. Had I known this was probably a sign for "buy one get one free" in a couple hours, ha! Hubs said he would just stay home with us and I insisted he go into work. After all, my appt wasn't any different than Mondays or the week before. Plus by the time we got home it was 11am. Ava & I played a little and went up for a nap in my bed at 12pm........

A little before 1pm I woke up to this sudden bladder pain, like I needed to pee REALLY bad. Ava was still asleep and I was mad I was awake bc we usually nap for 2 hours. I rolled myself out of the bed and felt so much pressure. I waddled into the bathroom, sat down and started to pee. While peeing I felt my stomach "jolt". Almost like someone gave my belly a quick little shake like a snow globe. Then I felt and heard a "POP". I screamed bc it scared the shit out of me. Then I felt it... lots of warm liquid running out. I stopped peeing, but the liquid kept coming. I finished peeing and was in disbelief. I stood up and it just kept gushing out. Clear, warm liquid. I rolled up a hand towel, stuffed it between my legs and got my phone from my room and went back and sat on the toilet. I called Hubs and told him my water broke... he said he was on his way. We hung up and I called Carol the RN. She asked me to describe it and immediately she was like... come in now, I'll call L&D to tell them to get you a room ready and I'll tell Dr. M. We hung up, so I called my mom. The receptionist asked who was calling and I told her I was Kim's Daughter. My mom must of warned her about me and she said "OMG, are you ok?!??!" I told her I was but that my water broke... she ran down the hall looking for my mom. My mom immediately wanted me to call 911 lol... I told her I was fine and wasn't contracting yet and that we would meet her at the hospital. This was about 1pm

I just sat on the upstairs toilet while the water just kept running out steadily, with a million and one things going on through my mind. I was going to wait for Hubs until I realized Ava was still asleep and neither one of us had pants on. The hospital bag was ready, but I needed to add a few things and we needed Ava's diaper bag and I felt like being upstairs felt SOOO far away from where any vehicle would be. I figured we would waste too much time if I waited for Marc to get there. I know some women's water breaks and they have HOURS before delivery or even no progression, but I just knew this wouldn't be the case. So I put the rolled up hand towel back between my legs and woke up Ava. I told her we needed to go back to the doctors so we had to get dressed. Thank goodness she wasn't mad I woke her up. I slipped on a maxi skirt and waddled into her room and put her pants on her and grabbed her shoes. I grabbed two more towels before heading downstairs. I called my Aunt Kristin, but had to hang up with her bc my mom kept calling me asking if I called 911 yet or if she should call for me lol. I finally convinced her I didn't need too and that I would call her when Marc got to the house. Ava & I got downstairs and I organized everything and then sat on the downstairs toilet (next to garage door) until Marc pulled up. I kept checking for blood or signs of meconium (baby poop)- totally clear, Ava even touched the "water" towel bc I had it sitting on the sink and she said "hot". That's right Ava, it really is a hot box! It had only been about 12mins, but it felt like forever when Marc pulled up. He ran in grabbed everything in one hand including Ava and loaded the car. I waddled up, put a towel down and hoisted myself into the seat. We held hands for about two mins and then got on our phones.

We started calling people on the way to the hospital... I felt good until about 10mins into the drive. Then the first contraction hit. HOLY SHIT... That hurt. I remember now... I remember the pain I had with Ava when all hell broke loose. I breathed through it well and then I started to get nervous about what was about to go down. My mom met us at the front of the hospital, she made sure the valet guys had a wheelchair waiting on me. Even one woman whom I see almost at every appt was standing outside. She was so happy for us as she knew a little of my journey- it was about 1:30p. I got wheeled up to L&D and by this time I had 3 contractions in 15mins. They took me straight back to a room and stripped me down. A lot of people came in and out to get my situated. The contractions were probably 5mins a part and furious. I told my RN I would take my epidural at any moment lol. Then in walks two resident docs with students. They wanted to do an u/s to confirm placement of the babies. Since I just had the u/s earlier in the day I tried to tell them the placement but they weren't really believing me. The contractions kept coming... Beebs & Deda were in the room and one was pretty bad and I was being vocal. I heard Beebs yell "mama?!?!" and surprisingly that calmed me down bc I didn't want to worry her... it really made me concentrate on breathing and relaxing. Dr. M comes into the room and we joked about something, but I can't remember. Then I had another contraction. He took over on the u/s and said ok... its obvious, Baby B is transverse, why are we wasting so much time here?! He looked at me and I started to cry... I knew this meant I needed a csection. He explained he does breech deliveries, but they have to be presenting well. Baby B's spine was facing the way that is unfavorable for a breech delivery. I know that a csection is what was best for the babies and myself but I was worried. He then asked how dilated I was... The other docs didn't know bc NO ONE HAD CHECKED ME... he got pissed. He said "Her water is all over the place, she's in pain, laboring with mono/di twins, one is breech and no one knows how far along she is?!" The resident doc ran over to check me quick... Ugh... another painful moment. I felt like his hands were the size of a little kid or something. He pulled his hand out and said she's a 5. Dr. M said... She's 5cm?! She needs to be in the OR in 10mins". He tried to console me one more time and left to get set up.

More people came in, giving me fluids, asking me to sign ridiculous paper work while I've been contracting so my signature was basically a scribble. I gave lots of kisses to Beebs, I knew her life was about to change forever and at 2:31pm I arrived into the OR. They make you move yourself onto the bed. This was insane... I was in SO MUCH PAIN yet I had to use most of my strength to get myself to the surgery table. UGH... I finally did and the anesthesiologist went to work on getting the spinal block into my back. She got it in and my legs immediately went numb. They rolled me onto my back, strapped my arms down, inserted a cathetar, draped a sheet in front of my face, put oxygen in my nose and then my husband walked in.

Dr. M asked if I could "feel this"... which I could, I could feel him pushing my belly. I said Yes, I feel that and he said ok, let's start. I said, NO! I can feel it!! He said... "I just poked you extremely hard with something sharp 10times and all you said was you can feel it, we're good to go"    Ooooo.. LOL I guess that stuff works well! I looked to my left at the clock, It was 2:47p. I could feel pushing and pulling in my belly, but no pain. It was the weirdest sensation EVER. My body was even moving a little from side to side from all the pulling.

At 2:53p I heard the first cry... :) One of our daughters was born! A doctor rushed her over to me for a peak, but it was way to fast. Then seconds later another cry! A doctor then rushed her over to me as well. I started to cry again. They were both out and were born in the same minute. I couldn't believe it!! I wanted to see them, to touch them, to hold them but I couldn't. I just saw some slimy babies go past my eyes in a flash. Marc kissed me and told me I did such a great job and he had the biggest smile on his face. Once they were cleaned up and assessed he was allowed to go take pictures. I was by myself, but happy. I was so so so happy! Our girls were finally here. After MONTHS of bed rest, prayers, tears and uncertainty they were finally here and healthy! I asked the anesthesiologist if they were going to the NICU and he said... "the NICU team already left, your babies aren't going to the NICU" Do you know how amazing that sounded?! I started to cry again... our family has been joined by two more beautiful, healthy, happy girls. We are blessed beyond measure.

They both scored 8/9 on their Apgar tests!!!
Lola Bell: 5lbs 5oz, 19in long (Baby A)
Mila Marie: 6lbs 2oz, 19.5 in long (Baby B)

Thanks for reading such a long story!! In my next post, I'll pick up right where I left off. I'm a little loopy as I type this!

Daddy next to his brand new daughters!

No comments:

Post a Comment