Friday, September 20, 2013

The Hospital Stay: Part 1

I started to figure out how far along I was and write it at the top like every other post... so I guess I'll just start writing how old they are now :)

8 days old...
I didn't get to update anything in the last 8 days... not that we are overwhelmed or too exhausted, but that when the babies needs are met we try to give Ava as much one on one time with each of us as well as collectively as possible.

So... last post ended with the birth. It has been quite the whirlwind! I had some pretty severe reactions to the medication used during the C-section. I guess its pretty common, but during the entire procedure I was shaking uncontrollably. So much so, that I asked Hubs to put the sheet in my mouth because I was so afraid I was going to break a tooth! I didn't feel that loopy during the procedure, just cold, shaky & euphoric. The girls were born at 2:53pm, but I don't think I got to recovery until after 4pm sometime. The easiest part is getting the babies out they said, the long part is putting my body back together. I told the doc if they wanted they could trim a few inches off my belly skin, I wouldn't mind. They gave a little chuckle. I was dead serious. My skin was so stretched to the max that I was afraid of what the after math would look like!

Before I went into recovery one of my nurses said normally they let the babies come in recovery with me, but there was a mom in there who just lost her baby. They asked if it was ok that they didn't bring them in with me. Of course that was ok! My heart broke for that mom... I don't know her situation, story or what happened, but to lose a child you're carrying whether it's 9weeks or 9months has to be devastating... and then here I am, with TWO healthy babies after she just lost ONE. I've said a few prayers for her and I hope she is able to conceive again and have a healthy, happy pregnancy and the baby she desires.

Recovery was a little rough... Over the course of an hour I started to get the feeling back in my body. It started with my mid section and I was pain free, just tingly. I was still shaking uncontrollably and I felt like I haven't had anything to drink in 3months. I asked the Nurse for water... she suggested ice chips. That satisfied me for about 5mins... I NEEDED water. I thought if I could have some water I would never complain about anything again in my life. She said she'll give me water if I want, but that I will most likely throw it up. I didn't even care. No sooner than 10mins after "sipping" some water, it came right back up... I continued to do this 3 more times despite my Husbands protest "you're only going to get more dehydrated if you keep throwing up" and "you're contracting your stomach when you throw up, you're going to be in a lot of pain". Bless his heart for trying. I was like a crack head for water, ice cold water. Perhaps he was just tired of seeing his wife looking pathetic throwing up without control of her body, with bile dribbling down her chin. I'm sure that was a pretty sight. I didn't even care about dehydration or extra pain, besides I was still numb, shaking and just delivered two babies!

After the mom who suffered a loss was recovered and wheeled out, they brought my babies in! They were beautiful! I finally got to see them up close almost 2 hours after they were born. Of course I couldn't hold them or even get the energy to touch them but they looked amazing. They were in the same isolate and so perfect. The Nursery Nurse went over some info with me including signs of distress to look for and general guidelines. I didn't think I was paying attention, but I was...

At 5pm I was finally allowed to go to my room. They sent the babies to the nursery bc I wasn't recovered enough and they wanted me to rest some before they brought them to me. As soon as they wheeled my bed out, I threw up again. When I got to my room my mom, step dad and Beebs were all in there waiting! Ava was so excited to see me, but obviously I was in no condition to give her much physical affection. Luckily there were enough people to keep her occupied. I got sick about 3-4 more times until 9pm and I was instantly better and they brought the babies in! It was just Hubs & I and we finally got to bond with our new girls after 6 hours. We enjoyed our time together, I got to breastfeed and hold them. I started to get extremely worn out and decided I needed to sleep. We sent the babies down to the nursery for the night.

You don't get much sleep when someone walks in every two hours for vitals, to push on your sensitive stomach, check your incision and see how much you're bleeding. Thank GOODNESS for the nursery, catheter & the extended pain meds! The nurse tried to get me to stand up a little and walk... I couldn't walk, I got dizzy so I just stood there and got back into bed. I still think a Vaginal delivery has a better recovery time and would prefer that over a C-section any time.

Hubs left to go back to my Mom's. It had been such a crazy day and since the babies were in the nursery he wanted to cash in on some good sleep too and spend a little time with Ava in the morning before coming back.

We hugged long and he kissed me goodnight. It was such an unexpected, yet amazing day and our family went from 3 to 5... absolutely crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment